Dates: April 28 - May 10, 2014
Proposed Itinerary: (subject to change based on availability)
Monday, April 28: Departure Day
Tuesday, April 29:
Arrive early morning – Munich
- Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site (optional guided tour.)
- Munich’s Marienplatz Walking Tour (optional guided tour.)
- Or spend the afternoon exploring on your own.
Afternoon – Ettal -Bavarian Alps
- 3 Nights at the 4-star rated hotel, Ludwig der Bayer Klosterhotel in the quaint village of Ettal, nestled in the Ammergau region.
Wednesday, April 30:
- Full day visit to King Ludwig II’s castles at Hohenschwangau (optional guided tour.)
- Linderhof Palace, apparently King Ludwig II’s favorite royal home (optional guided tour.)
- Zugspitze, the highest Alp peak in Germany at 3,000 meters (10,000 feet.) You reach the summit via a cogwheel train and a special cable car (optional tour.)
- Passion Play town of Oberammergau or to the ski resort town of Garmisch-Partenkirchen or explore Ettal’s many hiking trails, shops and even a dairy on your own.
Thursday, May 1:
- May Day in Germany – public Labor Day holiday or Tag der Arbeit! The charming village of Krün will be erecting their Maibaum (May Pole) on this day and we have been invited to watch the festivities as all the available men in the village hoist up the massive pole. Afterwards we can watch the music, dancing and merry-making and enjoy lunch at Gasthof Schöttlkarspitz in Krün! What a great and once-in-a-lifetime experience to witness Bavaria’s cultural traditions!
Friday, May 2:
- Depart Bavaria though before we leave, we will visit the enchanting village of Mittenwald the town German writer, Goethe described in 1786 as “a living picture book.”
- Scenic drive through the Austrian Alps to the Baroque splendor of Salzburg! We will discover Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart’s delightful hometown and the site of the beloved movie “The Sound of Music!”
- Two nights at the 4-star rated Castellani Parkhotel
- 48-hour Salzburg Card which gives you unlimited use of Salzburg’s handy tram buses which pick up/drop off right near the entrance of Castellani Parkhotel.
- Furthermore on this evening, everyone will participate in an event unique to Salzburg – the famous Mozart Concert Dinner! In the Baroque Hall of Stiftskeller St. Peter, you will dine by candlelit and enjoy singers and strings of the “Amadeus Consort Salzburg” as they perform arias and duettos from Don Giovanni, Le Nozze di Figaro and The Magic Flute as well as Mozart’s instrumental works.
Saturday, May 3:
- If you have an interest in World War II history, you can visit Hitler’s Kehlsteinhaus (known in English as Eagle’s Nest), a mountain retreat historians say was intended as a 50th birthday gift to him (optional tour.)
- The Sound of Music Tour – a four-hour sight-seeing extravaganza aboard Panorama Tour’s colorful bus that takes you by various Salzburg locations associated with the beloved film as well as outside the city to the beautiful Salzkammergut Lake District (optional tour.)
- Or a full day to enjoy Salzburg on your own.
Sunday, May 4:
- Depart Salzburg and head north to the Czech Republic.
- The medieval city of Český Krumlov for sight-seeing time and lunch. Old Český Krumlov is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and our visit will include a guided tour of the town followed by a group lunch featuring Czech cuisine.
- 3 nights in Prague, the Golden City of 100 Spires and the enthralling capital of the Czech Republic, at the 5-star rated Radisson Blu Alcron Hotel, an exquisite historic Art Deco-styled hotel.
- Tonight, many of you wish to see Mozart’s opera Don Giovanni in the original Estates Theatre where it debuted!
Monday, May 5:
- Castle & Cathedral Quarter where you will learn about the seat of government and to see inside the country’s state church St. Vitus Cathedral (optional guided tour.)
- In the afternoon, discover the Art Nouveau works by Czech artist Alphonse Mucha at the museum dedicated to his art in the New Town area near our hotel (optional tour.)
- This evening, we will dine together at our hotel’s renowned restaurant, La Rotonde which was named the #3 restaurant in all of the Czech Republic by a local restaurant guide.
Tuesday, May 6:
- a tour of the evocative Jewish Quarter and Old Town Square with its lovely shops and monument to the martyr Jan Huss (optional tour.)
- Then this evening Czech folksongs at a fun Czech Folklore Evening (optional event.)
Wednesday, May 7:
- Departing Prague, we will take a scenic drive south through the Czech Republic into Austria’s lovely Wachau Valley to the village of Melk next to the Danube River.
- Brandner cruise liner SS Austria for a Danube River Lunch Cruise that glides along the most picturesque part of the Danube River: the Wachau Valley lined with castles, ruins and vineyards.
- 3 night stay in the imperial city of Vienna at the InterContinental Wien, a stylish 5-star rated hotel in an impressive and convenient location right off the Ringstrasse across from the famous Stadtpark where Johann Strauss Jr. first performed his waltzes in Vienna.
Thursday, May 8:
- Narrated tour of the famous sites along the Ringstrasse, one of Europe’s greatest boulevards as well as an up-close look at St. Stephan’s Cathedral.
- After lunch on your own, you may want to stroll into the historic core of Vienna from our hotel to discover its imperial grandeur or take in the city’s cafe culture at a tempting coffeehouse.
- Schönbrunn Palace, the opulent summer residence of the Hapsburgs. A local expert guide will regale you with stories about the Hapsburgs and lead you through all the available Imperial Apartment rooms on display to the public (optional guided tour.)
- Weingut Hajszan-Neumann, a thriving winery specializing in organic wines and gourmet food (optional tour.)
Friday, May 9:
- Kunsthistorisches Museum, the city’s premier art gallery combined with the Imperial Treasury at the Hofburg Palace (optional guided tour.)
- Walking tour to the elegant Belvedere where the world’s largest collection of art by Gustav Klimt is housed (optional guided tour.)
- LastNightinViennaGroupDinner at the Inter Continental Wien! Dinner with wine pairings has been arranged in one of the hotel’s stunning private rooms where we can toast our wonderful trip! Prost!
Saturday, May 10:
- Depart for the U.S. via Vienna’s International Airport.